One of the five boroughs of New York City, Brooklyn is famous for having some of the top things to do that New York has to offer. From thrilling nightlife to galleries, markets, parks, and restaurants, there is an endless list of things you must do in Brooklyn.
But are there fun family things to do in Brooklyn? What are the best things to do in Brooklyn if you have kids? Where can you find information about family days out, family events, and top free things to do in Brooklyn, NY? In this guide, we’ve compiled the best things to do as a family in Brooklyn.
Read on to learn about what makes Brooklyn such a great place, the best things to do in Brooklyn, the best things to do in Brooklyn if you have children, local parks in Brooklyn, play centers in Brooklyn, and attractions in Brooklyn!
This guide to the best things to do in Brooklyn if you have children covers many of the fun things to do in NYC. With this guide in hand, you will never be at a loss for things to do on your family days out in Brooklyn!
What Makes Brooklyn Such a Great Place
People often ask: Is Brooklyn a good place to live? What are the positives of living in Brooklyn? Is Brooklyn a good city for families? What are some great things to do in Brooklyn? Keep reading to learn the answers to these questions and more in this section on what makes Brooklyn such a great place.
- Brooklyn is the hippest borough in the city. It is chock full of trendy young artists, musicians, and other creators, making it the perfect place for people who love culture to live.
- One of the other positives of living in Brooklyn is its beautiful location. Whereas the heart of New York City in Manhattan is often thought of as dirty and grimy, Brooklyn feels much cleaner. There is an excellent school system, making it a great place to raise a family.
- What else does Brooklyn living offer? Delicious food! People from cultures around the world find themselves living in Brooklyn, which means that you’re able to find authentic versions of almost anything you’re craving.
Read on to the next section to learn the top 10 things to do in Brooklyn! You won’t want to miss these attractions that are perfect for family days out in New York.
Best Things to Do in Brooklyn
The city has so much to offer that it is difficult to narrow down the 10 best things to do in Brooklyn, but we have done it! Here are all the can’t-miss things you must do in Brooklyn.
- Visit Coney Island
- See a show at BAM Harvey Theater
- Bike through Prospect Park
- Appreciate nature in the Brooklyn Botanic Garden
- Experience the New York Transit Museum
- Watch a Cyclones game at MCU Park
- Witness history at the Brooklyn Museum
- Chow down at Time Out Market New York
- See the iconic Brooklyn Bridge
- Go shopping at Brooklyn Flea market
The next section will cover some interesting facts about Brooklyn you should know before you visit!
Did You Know This About Brooklyn
This section covers facts about Brooklyn, information about Brooklyn, and things you should know about Brooklyn NY. Let’s jump right in!
- One of the first things you should know about Brooklyn is that it boasts 30 miles of the coast. It is on an island, after all!
- Another one of the most surprising facts about Brooklyn is that it is situated on Long Island.
- The borough is even more significant than Manhattan! This fact about Brooklyn is accurate in terms of both population and area.
- Brooklyn is home to over 700 arts institutions and museums! You will learn about a few of the most popular cultural attractions in Brooklyn in later sections.
- It is the birthplace of the Tootsie Roll! This iconic sweet was invented by a local candy maker back in 1884.
- It’s home to the Brooklyn Children’s Museum, the first children’s museum in the US and thought to possibly be the first in the world.
Want more Brooklyn information and Brooklyn facts? Read the next section to learn the 10 best things to do in Brooklyn as a family!
Best Things to Do in Brooklyn if You Have Children
Many guides will tell you the best things to do in Brooklyn on a night out or the top free things to do in Brooklyn, NY, but we’ve researched to compile this unique guide of the top 10 things to do in Brooklyn as a family. This list of the best things to do in Brooklyn for kids includes info on family parks, family days out, events, and more!
- Luna Park in Coney Island
- Brooklyn Children’s Museum
- Prospect Park Zoo
- LeFrak Center
- Pier 6 Playgrounds
- New York Aquarium
- Fairytale Island
- New York Transit Museum
Explore the subway stations as you make your way through Flatbush, Williamsburg, Queens, and Brooklyn Heights. At the LeFrak Center, head to the rink and go ice skating as a family. Take your kids to Coney Island and watch them on the roller coaster!
Afterward, walk the boardwalk with ice cream in hand and head to the New York Aquarium to watch the sea lions. It’ll no doubt make memories your children will cherish for a lifetime.
Local Parks in Brooklyn
Visiting local parks is among the best things to do in Brooklyn. Even better, these popular parks are some of the top free things to do in Brooklyn. There are so many family-friendly things to do at them. Central Park is great, but be sure to check out one or more of these local parks in Brooklyn for your family days out in the city!
- Brooklyn Bridge Park
- Prospect Park
- Marine Park
- Fort Greene Park
- Owl’s Head Park
- Bushwick Inlet Park
- Canarsie Park
- Commodore Barry Park
- Shirley Chisholm State Park
- Cobble Hill Park
Brooklyn Bridge Park contains the famous Jane’s Carousel, which is fun for the whole family. Interested in learning more about the best things to do as a family in Brooklyn? Our next section covers the borough’s best play centers for family events in Brooklyn!
Play Centers in Brooklyn
This section covers some of the best play centers in Brooklyn for your family days out! Some of these play centers contain daycare, so the adults can explore New York for other things to do such as visit museums, markets, and galleries while the kids are at the play center.
Many Brooklyn neighborhoods are full of fun things to do, so it can be great to have somewhere to leave the little ones for some family fun.
- Twinkle Playspace is a popular play center in Brooklyn for kids 6 and under!
- Safari Playhouse Fun Learning Center is an exciting indoor playground for kids 8 and under.
- Kids N Action is fun for kids of all ages and boasts an on-site food court.
- Fairytale Island offers soft open play in a warm and clean environment in Brooklyn.
- Max Adventures Kids Birthday Party Place is perfect for private events and is known for its exciting laser lights.
Some play centers even include weekly events like story time and other fun kids’ activities. It may be no amusement park, but a play center can be just as good for family fun. Keep reading the next section to discover some of the top attractions in Brooklyn that are great for the whole family.
Attractions in Brooklyn
Brooklyn is a city that is full of attractions! Some of the best things to do in Brooklyn include museums, markets, galleries, and parks. If you’re visiting New York, take a look at this list of some of the top attractions and best things to do in Brooklyn!
- Brooklyn Heights Promenade
- Dyker Heights
- Brooklyn Tabernacle
- Bushwick Collective Street Art
- Luna Park in Coney Island
- Brooklyn Museum
- Brooklyn Bridge
Exploring downtown Brooklyn with a hot dog in hand sounds like the perfect way to enjoy your day. Even more so if you’re enjoying some of New York’s attractions while you do it! As you make your way through Park Slope and down to Sunset Park, enjoy spectacular views of the Statue of Liberty. Remember, you can always get ice cream after!
There you have it!
If you think a short visit isn’t enough to experience what makes Brooklyn such a great place, and are part of the groups saying “we buy houses New York wants to sell,” check out the NY housing market to see how you can make living in Brooklyn a reality.
Let us know if you check out any of the local parks, play centers, and attractions we recommend!